Class: First Fleet Class
Speed: 12 kn
Length: 25.38 m
Displacement: 105 t
Route: Inner Harbour, Taronga Zoo, Cockatoo Island, Eastern Suburbs
Origin of Name: Named after the Golden Grove, part of the 1787 First Fleet.
The Golden Groves namesake was built at Whitby in 1780 as Russian Merchant, and was renamed Golden Grove in 1782. She served as a storeship for the First Fleet to Australia. A former inner-city suburb of Sydney (now part of Newtown and Camperdown) was also named after the ship.
The Sydney Harbour First Fleet Class consist of nine catamaran ferries built by Carrington Slipways in Tomago, New South Wales. They replaced the wooden K and Lady class ferries on Sydney Harbour. It was originally intended that they operate services on the Parramatta River, but they generated too much wash.