Class: First Fleet Class
Speed: 12 kn
Length: 25.38 m
Displacement: 105 t
Route: Inner Harbour, Taronga Zoo, Cockatoo Island, Eastern Suburbs
Origin of Name: Named after the Alexander, part of the 1787 First Fleet.
The Alexanders namesake was a merchant ship launched at Hull in 1783. In 1787 she sailed to Portsmouth alongside Lady Penrhyn to meet the remainder of the First Fleet.
The First Fleet Class consist of nine catamaran ferries built by Carrington Slipways in Tomago, New South Wales. They replaced the wooden K and Lady class ferries on Sydney Harbour. It was originally intended that they operate services on the Parramatta River, but they generated too much wash.