Close panel Local secrets

Argyle Cut

This hand cut access-way through the peak of the ridge to the west of Sydney in the Rocks area was a major engineering feat of its day. The Cut was begun with convict labour in 1843 to provide direct easy access between Millers Point and The Rocks but was not completed until 1859, with the use of explosives and council labour. It was the last major public work project to be completed by convict gangs, who made their assault on the rock face with whatever hand tool could be found.

Argyle Cut

Address:
Argyle Street 
The Rocks Sydney 
NSW 2000 
Website: www.environment.nsw.gov.au

Ferry Information

Circular Quay

Visit www.transportnsw.info For Full Ticketing And Timetable Information.